How To Get Money Back On Venmo
Venmo is a popular network for sending and receiving funding, ranking close to PayPal. Whether you need to transfer money to a friend or make a payment directly on a site, Venmo can help. Accidents sometimes happen, and you may make money for someone else, get scammed, or just want a refund.
Although the money transfer process might appear complicated at first, especially for first-time Venmo users, it is not rocket science. This post will tell you all you need to know about returning funds to your Venmo account. We’ll also discuss common difficulties you can encounter during the process so you know what to expect.
How to Get Refund in Venmo from Wrong Person
One of the most common mistakes done on money transfer services like Venmo is paying the wrong individual. There are a lot of individuals with similar identities, and things can grow even more complicated if users don’t change the basic Venmo username from the basic account setup.
As you are aware, the funds you send are automatically applied to a user’s account and can be transferred to their bank account. This means that, before contacting Venmo support, you must first request the funds be refunded to the individual to whom you mistakenly sent them.
To request funds back on your Venmo account, follow the steps below:
- Open the Venmo app.
- Go to the home screen and click on the blue Pay or Request button.
- Enter the username of the individual from whom you want to request money.
- Enter the exact amount of money you sent.
- Write a message detailing the issue and asking that they return the funds they received in error.
- Select Request.
- A green message will appear asking you to accept the action. To confirm, tap on it.
You may always send a reminder if the recipient does not see your message immediately away. Here’s how to go about it:
- In the upper-right corner of the screen, tap the three bars.
- Choose Incomplete.
- To see a list of your unfilled requests, go to the Requests section.
- Tap the Remind button to the right of the request in question.
- The blue “Remind” button will be replaced with a grey message that says “Reminded.”
The money will be returned to your account if the person approves your request. However, if you do not get your money, you can try to get help from Venmo. Please be aware that the company does not promise that your money will be refunded. They will give you the best available options.
Here’s how to contact Venmo support:
- Fill out the contact form in a web browser.
- Chat with a representative via the mobile app.
- Venmo chat experts are available Monday through Friday from 6 a.m. to 11:59 p.m. CST, and Saturday and Sunday from 8 a.m. to 10 p.m. CST.
- Call Venmo customer service at (855) 812-4430.
- Venmo phone hours are Monday through Sunday, 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. CST.
You can also reach the app’s help options by following these steps:
- In the upper-right corner of the screen, tap Settings.
- Choose to Get Help from the selection of options. It is the last option on the list, right next to the question mark.
- Depending on your chosen communication method, choose Contact Us, then Email Us, or Chat with Us. If you would prefer to make a phone call, go to the Check Our Hours section to receive a phone number.
To speed up the process, have your payment information ready. Ensure you have the total payment and date, and also the username of the recipient, on hand. Provide the username, mobile number, and email address of the individual to whom you wanted to make the payment in the first place.
How to Get a Refund in Venmo from Not Exist Account
Maybe you mistyped a username and your transaction was directed to an account that no longer exists. If the email or phone number you used to make the payment is no longer active on Venmo, you can cancel it and get your money back.
The payment should be listed under Pending in the Incomplete section. This means you either paid an account that isn’t linked to Venmo, or the receiver hasn’t confirmed their profile yet (the money will only appear in the recipient’s balance if they confirm their account while they are waiting). If that is not the case, you can request a refund without contacting Venmo.
Just follow the steps below:
- Open the Venmo app.
- In the lower right corner, tap the on Me icon.
- Choose Transactions.
- If there is money in pending status, you will be able to withdraw it. Choose to Take Back.
The funds will now be returned to their original source. If you paid with a credit or debit card, you will get the funds there. If you used your Venmo balance to send the funds, you should see the return there as well.
If the person you intended to transfer money to wants to receive it, they should join Venmo or add a proper email address to the account.