Do you want to create a direct download link for your Google Drive files? We are going to show you an easy method to do it without using any third-party tool. Let’s start!
Google Drive is a popular online storage service that people use not only to store their files but also for file sharing. Google Drive has a feature that lets you create a shareable link for your files. Those who have received this link will be able to access your file directly.
The default shareable link provided by Google Drive is only designed to preview files. There is no option to create a direct download link which can allow viewers to download your file directly, rather than previewing it in Google Drive.
In this article, we are going to share a simple trick that can help you create a direct download link for your Google Drive files without using any tools. This trick will work on any device including Windows PC, iPhone, Android, MacBook, etc.
Create direct download link for Google Drive on PC
We will customize the default link provided by Google Drive to manually create a direct download link for your file. Here is a step by step guide –
- Open Chrome or any other browser on your PC and visit the Google Drive website at drive.google.com. Make sure you’re signed in to your Google account.
- Now find the file whose direct download link you want to create. If you haven’t uploaded your file, drag and drop it into the Google Drive folder. As simple as that!
- Select file then press link icon at the top (under the search bar).
- If the General access is set to Restricted, change it to Anyone with the link. This will make your file available to anyone with their direct download link.
- Faucet Copy link options. You have now copied the default Google Drive link for your file.
- Open Notepad on your PC and paste the link. Copy the identification number between /D/ and /see?
- Add this ID to the end of this link: https://drive.google.com/uc?export=download&id=
- Your new direct download link for Google Drive file is ready. It should look something like this: https://drive.google.com/uc?export=download&id=15bMG-ghdy6738GFJdthH2804NCGgdjhd
Instead of directing you to the Google Drive website, this new link will open a dialog asking you to directly download the file.
Create Direct Download Link for Google Drive on iPhone
If you are on iPhone or iPad, you can follow the same procedure. Follow these simple steps:
- Open the Drive app on your iPhone.
- If you haven’t uploaded your file yet, tap +more button and select To download. After that, click on Browse option. This will take you to the Files app where you can select any file you want to upload to your Drive.
- Locate the file whose direct download link you want to create. Go to the Files tab and find it in the My Drive section or you can use the search function at the top to search the file name directly.
- Faucet three points on the file, then click Copy link context menu option. To make sure your file is public, go to Manage Access and check if General Access is set to Anyone with the link.
- Once you’ve copied the link, open the Notes app on your iPhone or Google Keep if you have it installed, and paste the link into a new note.
- Copy the identification number from the Google Drive link as shown below and paste it at the end of this link: https://drive.google.com/uc?export=download&id=yourfileid goes here
- So! This will be the new direct download link for your Google Drive file. You can copy and share it with anyone.
Create direct download link for Google Drive on Android
The steps to create a direct download for Google Drive on Android are quite similar to the steps described above for iPhone. Just open the Google Drive app and upload your file as usual. Faucet + button and choose To download. After that select the file and wait for it to be downloaded.
Once the download is complete, the next step is to get the Google Drive link. To do this, press 3 points on the file you downloaded to your Drive, then select Copy link options. We will now modify this link to create a direct download link. Open any notes app on your Android phone, such as Google Keep, and paste the link.
Copy the ID part and replace yourfileid goes here with her in the following link:
https://drive.google.com/uc?export=download&id=yourfileid goes here
That’s it! You have successfully created a direct download link for your Google Drive file. To test it, copy and paste this link in Chrome or any other web browser. Instead of landing on the Google Drive website, you will get a dialog asking you to download the file.
Use Google Drive direct download link generator
There are many tools online that can help you create a direct download link for your Google Drive files. Copying the ID number and then customizing the link manually is a bit tricky and of course time consuming, especially when you need to do it more often.
That’s when these tools come into play to provide you with an alternative and easy solution. Just paste the original Google Drive link into the tool and it will generate a direct downloadable link for you. There are different variations of these tools available as online websites, browser extensions and offline apps.
We recommend using the online website as it does not require any application installation. Also, it works on any device and operating system, be it PC, MacBook, iPhone or Android. For this task, you can use Google Drive Direct Download Link Generator by the WonderPlugin website.
Sharing files via a direct download link is more convenient than sharing them with the default link provided by Google Drive. We hope this guide was helpful for you to create a direct download link for your Google Drive files. You can use these methods on any device, including PC, smartphone, and tablet.
If you only need it once, using the manual method is a great option. Otherwise, you can also get help from a third-party tool for more frequent use. Share your thoughts and opinions on this topic in the comments section below. If you liked this article, share it with your friends on social networks.