Having accurate and up-to-date personal information on your Emirates ID is essential. This national identity card issued by the government of the UAE serves as proof of identity and residence. It contains key details like your name, photo, date of birth, nationality, and visa status.
It is used for various official transactions like opening a bank account, getting a driving license, purchasing property, accessing healthcare, enrolling in schools/universities, and even traveling in and out of the country.
Therefore, the details on the card must match your current information. If there are any changes or inaccuracies in your data, you must get them updated on your Emirates ID promptly.
Why You Update Personal Information on Emirates ID
Here are some key reasons why you must update details like your name, photo, designation, passport information etc. on your Emirates ID card:
- To accurately reflect your current personal details
- To avoid issues during immigration and other official transactions
- To change your name after marriage or divorce
- To update your photo if it no longer matches your current appearance
- To reflect a change in job designation
- To replace details if your passport was renewed
How to Change or Update Personal Information
The process to modify your details on the Emirates ID involves two key steps:
- First, you must update the information on your residence visa
- Next, you can apply to get the same changes updated on your Emirates ID card
This two-step process ensures synchronization between the data on your residence visa and Emirates ID. Let’s look at these steps in more detail:
Step 1: Update Your Residence Visa Details in Dubai
If you are a resident of Dubai, you must first submit a request to the General Directorate of Residency and Foreigners Affairs (GDRFA) to get your details modified on the residence visa.
There are three ways to complete this step:
- Online: Visit gdrfa.gov.ae and use the “Data Amendment for Residency Visa” service. This allows you to edit details like your name, photo, designation, etc.
- In-person: Visit any Amer center with your original documents like passport, Emirates ID, marriage certificate etc. as per your request.
- Through typing centers: Typing centers can assist you with the entire process of updating your residence visa and Emirates ID.
When submitting your request, you must provide supporting documents like:
- Original passport
- Existing Emirates ID
- Marriage certificate for name change
- New passport-size photos
- Attested educational certificate for change in designation
Updating your residence visa details costs Dh260.
Step 2: Update Your Emirates ID
After you get your residence visa updated with the new details, visit any ICP centre to change the same information on your Emirates ID.
ICP has centers in locations like:
- Al Barsha
- Al Ghazal Mall
- Al Rashidiya
Carry the below documents to the ICP center:
- Updated residence visa
- Existing Emirates ID
The staff will verify the new details on your residence visa and issue a modified Emirates ID.
Updating your Emirates ID costs Dh350 inclusive of service fee and courier charges.
For Residents Outside of Dubai
If your visa was issued by an emirate other than Dubai, follow these steps:
- You can complete the entire process of updating your residence visa and Emirates ID at the GDRFA office in your emirate.
- The GDRFA center will handle both the stages of modifying your residence visa as well as Emirates ID in one go.
- Carry original documents like passport, Emirates ID, marriage certificate, educational degree etc. based on what changes you need to make.
The overall charges for updating both your residence visa and Emirates ID will be informed to you at the GDRFA center.
Updating personal information on your Emirates ID is essential to keep your official records accurate and valid. Follow the step-by-step process outlined above based on your emirate of residence.
Keep your Emirates ID details current at all times to avoid hassles during important transactions where it is required as proof of ID and residence.