How to pray Eid salah (prayer)
Eid celebrations are incomplete without prayer. On this day, Muslims gather in congregational prayer to praise Allah (SWT). The Eid celebration lasts 3 days and begins with the Eid Salah (prayer).
What time is the Eid prayer?
On the first day of Eid, Eid Salah (prayer) is held in the early morning (after Fajr). On such occasions, Muslims are reminded to pray in Jama’ah (congregation) with the regional Muslim community.
Please check with the nearest mosque about the prayer schedule in your region.
How to perform Eid prayer
When you first wake up in the morning, before you begin the prayer:
- Make the ghusl (ritual ablution).
- It is Sunnah to eat anything (you might do it out of practice!). Before heading out to pray, the Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) ate dates.
- Put on your best clothes! For a day of celebration, Muslims are urged to clean themselves, dress in their nicest clothes, and smell well!
- On your way to Eid prayer, say the general takbeerat.
When you are ready to pray
- Make the intention to pray for Eid.
- Give the imam the opening takbeer (‘Allahu Akbar’).
- Say the opening supplication to yourself gently.
- Give the imam three more takbeers, raising your hands for each.
- Listen to the imam recite Surah al-Fatihah as well as another surah.
- Continue the prayer cycle as usual, saying ‘Allahu Akbar’ as you go into ruku (bowing) with the imam.
- Listen to the imam recite Surah al-Fatihah and another surah in the second rakah.
- Give the imam three more takbeers. Place your hands to your sides after the third and final takbeer before repeating the ruku.
- Complete the prayer cycle as usual, saying ‘Allahu Akbar’ as you go into the bowing position with the imam.
Note: This is the Hanafi way of praying for Eid. Please follow the imam if he recites additional takbeer.
To avoid missing out, make sure you pay your Fitrana (Zakat ul Fitr) before the Eid prayer!
Eid ki Namaz Ka Tariqa
Was this article helpful?